02 October 2009

Cloth Diapers, Breast feeding and baby food

I recall back in the day when Liam was just a wee peanut inside of me...I told people I wanted to cloth diaper my child. The usual response was: "You will give it up after a month, it's disgusting." Well, I have to say, I don't really find it disgusting and we're going on 5 months of cloth diapers. I LOVE CLOTH! My reasons are myriad...

1. They are cute. This may sound superficial, but it's the truth, they are really really cute.
2. They are cost effective.
3. I never have to buy diapers at the store :-)
4. There are no chemicals in the diapers.
5. Less diaper rash.
6. I always have diapers on hand.
7. They don't stink up my house, if they are stinky, I wash them.
8. The amount of trash at my curbside is the same as pre-baby.

I'm sure I can think of more reasons but these will do. (Okay so my reasons really aren't myriad)

Breastfeeding is another thing that people questioned me about. Well, I love that too. Liam and I are super close. Maybe that's because I stay home all day with him and spend countless hours nurturing him (day and night). But I think one of the reasons is that I am his food source! We are bonded, because he is always hungry :-) Seriously though, a certain grandmother tried to give him a bottle before bed the other night and he was refusing it. My son was refusing food!!! This is unheard of.

Other things I like about breastfeeding are that it's convenient. I know I am feeding my son the food that God made specially for him. It's guaranteed snuggle time during the day. And, I am wearing the jeans I wore before I was pregnant.

Baby food. Liam is now eating fruits and veggies. I decided to make his food. Why is it that people think that just because Gerber manufactures something that means that ordinary people are unable to make that same thing? You can make baby food at home! I have made, peas, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, banana and pears. He has enjoyed every one of them. If you have a blender or a baby food mill you can do it. It's cost effective and convenient.

4 comments:

Scott Pearce said...

I am so in love with you.

Unknown said...

Love it. Ryland is wearing cloth, which is way to big for him because we used up all the diapers from the hospital. He's wearing the green and brown monkey outfit with a matching green diaper :) How many newborns get to be that color coordinated?

Renee said...

Oh, wow, Becca! It's great to hear from you! Had no idea you had a baby! Congrats! Motherhood is the greatest!! :)

Amy said...

I so totally agree with all you said! Emma has only had diaper rash once (actually, I think it was just really irritated) because she slept almost the whole night in poop. The only time it's gross is when there's a really smelly one.

As for breastfeeding, I love it! There are times it's hard to find a place to feed her when we're out. But we adjust. I love having such a special time with her. I was thinking the other day how much I'm going to miss it when she's older.

Emma hasn't started actual food yet. We're still working on the rice cereal. But I do plan on making my own food, for the most part.